18 February 2009

A Very Sweet Meet

On Valentine's Eve, I went to an annual YSA event in the Seattle area: the Sweet Meet. Here is the premise of said event:

All the boys make desserts and they are auctioned off to the girls, who buy them using fake dollars they have accumulated over the previous month by attending church meetings, institute, activities, FHE, etc. [The responsibility for baking/buying switches off every year; next year the girls will bake, the boys will buy.] The girl then gets to have dinner and the dessert in the cultural hall with the boy whose dessert she just won. The desserts are auctioned off anonymously, thus increasing the suspense and decreasing the resemblance to any kind of event where people are bought and sold.

I was wary of this whole idea at first, but as I began to accumulate "sweet meet bucks" (mostly because I am clearly someone in need of a date and people took pity on me), I started to get excited. And I ended up having a great time.

The cultural hall was festively decorated:

Even though my dessert looked a bit suspicious, it tasted great, and my "date" was nice and easy to talk to:


And, of course, I had a great time with some wonderful ladies:
Overall, a definite success.

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea! I think people tried a derivative of this at the Eugene institute one year, but no one could get people motivated enough to bake anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Seattle experience I share with you is a great Seattle experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. any man that can bake anything edible is worth a conversation for sure!

    ReplyDelete