29 March 2010

Baltic Tour Highlight #1: Unexpected Stop in Frankfurt

As many of you may know, I recently spent a week in Estonia, Latvia, and Finland with the UW Choirs. And, as far fewer of you know, we flew directly from Seattle to Frankfurt, Germany, which took a really long time.

I was not a fan of the long flight, but I was even less a fan of the six hour lay-over we had in the Frankfurt Airport waiting for the flight to Tallinn. Luckily, some very smart people thought ahead, and most of us made the 15-minute jaunt into downtown Frankfurt, where it was a surprisingly lovely day.

Beautiful old things:
Some very nice old monestary/convent (I can't remember). What I really love about this picture is all the beautiful flowers!

A square. We think this is the town hall square, as we saw a wedding party exiting across the way.
And even older things:


A church built on grounds dating back to the 9th century.

The inside of said church. Although it looks brick, actually all of the stone had been painted red with fake white mortar painted on. Don't ask me why!
And even some interesting new things:


The outside of a mall. Pretty neat stuff.
All worth the 3 Euros and the short train ride!

4 comments:

  1. More, more!! These are great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankfurt looks pretty! It almost looks like there should be little children skipping around in liederhosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean that you got a Germany stamp in your passport?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I tell you how much I love looking at these pics of beautiful Europa and you looking so happy? I forgot to post this the first time I looked at these but I come back for more :) I'm so happy you had such a great time and wow what a gorgeous location!

    ReplyDelete