08 August 2009

Hiking Post #3: Mount Rainier


Last week, two hiking companions and I left Seattle, not quite sure where we were going. We ended up climbing to Camp Muir, more than any of us really anticipated for the day. We had the chance to see Mount Rainier--a mountain I see very often during my normal routine in the city--from a completely different point of view, as you can see above.

Christy and I pose with the Mail Bear (also functioning as a mail box) in the lobby of the lodge before we began the hike.

We begin our hike, surrounded by wildflowers.

We met up with a couple of hikers who were getting up at midnight to summit the mountain at midnight. Together, we hiked up the snow field leading to Camp Muir.

Finally, at the top. You can see Mount Adams to the left of us and Mount St. Helens to the right. Typically, I am doing something ridiculous in the photo.

Some of the shelters at Camp Muir, surrounded by those waiting to climb to the top. It kind of felt like being in Nepal--or what I think being in Nepal must be like.
We slid down most of the snow field, much of the way through tracks that had already been cut through the snow.

Coming down through the afternoon sunlight.



1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I don't know if even Yosemite will match it--well probably it will, come to think about it

    ReplyDelete