05 August 2009

Hiking Post #2: Crater Lake

After dropping off the youngest McClain sister in Eugene in late June, me and my wonderful hiking companion headed for a brief tour of the Oregon Cascades. We drove first to Crater Lake (see photos below). Crater Lake was formed under some pretty extraordinary geological circumstances, and now is the deepest lake in North America. The pictures do not do it justice.

After hiking down to the lake, I ponder its existence.

Since there is no inlet or outlet to the lake, the water is very clear. And cold. We dipped our toes in!

We pose with the lake.

After leaving the National Park, we traveled north on Highway 97, driving through Bend and up the Eastern side of the Three Sisters, and headed straight at Mt. Hood. After rounding Mt. Hood, we had a lovely view of Mt. Adams in our sights before turning to the west and camping along the Columbia River. Unfortunately, I am not a great picture taker, and don't have any photos of this part of the trip. You'll just have to take my word for it...

1 comment:

  1. I really want to go back to Crater Lake before I die. I remember it from a trip with Aunt Sarah and family when I was 16--we got in late at night and didn't see the lake. We woke up in the morning and it was so amazing.

    ReplyDelete