15 March 2009

Green and Gold isn't just for the A's anymore...

The Green and Gold Ball is, apparently, an LDS tradition dating back many years. In Seattle, it still exists. Picture a high school dance with clean music, no grinding, and a population consisting of 18 to 30+ year-old single Mormons. That is where I was last night.

I went along with two friends who, in turn, went to a gospel concert with me before hand. Below is the outfit I wore until the moment I walked into the church building:

This included time eating dinner and walking through the streets of Seattle. Not to mention sitting in the pews of the church. I have little shame.

Once inside, I shed my coat and pants. It was pretty fun, I have to admit. I tried to pass this picture off as the picture of the three of us:



But they insisted we take one in front of the fake backdrop with the lights and everything. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that one. For those who have spent a lifetime criticizing my sense of fashion, you will be happy to know I looked like this by the end of the evening:

7 comments:

  1. I forgot all about the Gold and Green Ball until you mentioned it. This was a big deal when I was a teenager. Hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about this tradition but have never partaken in it...How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because you're wearing a dress doesn't mean you can't punch people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, when are we going to see more posts???

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, gold and green ball, most embarassing night of my life at church. I hate being in the spotlight and that's just where you were as a graduating Laurel, yikes. then you HAD to dance with your dad, double yuck at 17 for me...especially since I wore 3 inch heels so I stood about 5 inches taller than him...oh my, only in Washington would the tradition continue. FYI Jen's dad was waxing eloquent about your Easter program...evidently he's never heard you sing before. yep, I said, that's one of my incredibly talented nieces...you need to come down to visit when Jen is home, you can stay with us...we live 10 minutes away from her parents, weird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the best polygamous date ever! Maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I picked such a good dress. Also, why don't you post anymore? Also, Aunt Janna, are we invited to San Diego too?

    ReplyDelete